Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mix Your Cardio up!


Are you tired of jogging?  Your knees and back are sore all the time? Are long runs even necessary?  Nope.  There are other ways for you to do cardio.
Not everybody likes running, and even if you do it’s still good to change things up once in a while.

Need some ideas for cardio workouts?  We've got them here.  Read on then get moving.

Circuit or interval workouts 

There are lots of these kind of routines so you won’t have to look far to find one that suits you.  Many of them are fast too, for an added bonus.  These can be done using any cardio machine, jumping around in your basement, in a pool, or out on your bike.  Do the ones that you enjoy most and alternate them. 

Interval workouts use a warm-up that runs for about 5 to 10 minutes.  Then it’s time to go hard and fast with high intensity bursts of full-tilt work and then short periods of very moderate work.  Repeat until you’ve done your sets (aim for 20 to 25 minutes excluding the warm up and cool down, and including the short periods of rest/moderate work).   After a few of these workouts, you can really start to mix them up and be creative.  Do a cool down for 10 minutes after these sets to flush out the lactic acid that builds up in the high intensity bursts.

At the Gym

Don’t overlook the group classes that most gyms offer.  Maybe a dose of spinning, a few sessions of boot-camp, or cardio kickboxing will shake your world up.

Sports

What about the sports you ‘never get around to’?  Consider hitting some games of tennis, shooting hoops, racquetball, or taking up some mixed martial arts or joining a soccer or basketball pick up team.

Get out of Here

Depending on the season there’s always something to do outside.  Have you tried wake-boarding yet?   How about cross-country skiing?  You won’t believe how much of a workout an hour of snowshoeing will give you.

On a More Practical Note

There’s always a lot to be done in and around the house.  Raking can get the pulse-rate up.  Consider making that snow shoveling chore into your workout.  And get out and walk a lot!

Finally, does a great cardio routing need to take at least 30 minutes?  Not if you go hard and fast (see the article on HIT.)  Intensity and interval training is great and saves a lot of time.  Research shows that this type of cardio workout offers just as much, maybe more, cardio benefits as long  boring runs can.  

6 comments:

  1. I used to do intensity workouts on a stationary bike in the morning. It was a great way to get a good workout in quickly, and I could do it in my pajamas before hitting the shower and getting ready for work. I think it's time for me to buy a new bike for my basement and start up those sessions again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about chores being a good way to burn extra calories. These days, people get so used to doing everything as easily as possible, with as much automation as possible, but the more we do manually, the more calories we burn. I make a point of using a push broom instead of a leaf blower, for example.

    Also, I try to squeeze in more walking whenever I can--I arrive 10 minutes early for an appointment, park a few blocks away, and walk. Getting a pedometer can be motivating, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Circuit training is one of those things that's actually more easy than we realize, as your post points out. With summer coming, it's a great time to get back into team sports--or maybe take lessons and learn something new. My friends have been trying to get me to play softball for a while now. Plus I've been wanting to take tennis lessons and brush up my game--I used to play as a kid. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am another fan of interval training. I like exercises I can do for free, like playing pickup basketball at the park and jogging around the neighborhood or at the school track.

    Your posts are always full of solid ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It can be hard to stay motivated in poor weather. Now, in the summertime, I have no trouble getting out to walk. But in the winter...! I'm thinking of buying a treadmill for walking indoors this winter. I wish I were a fan of going to the gym, but it just has never worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good article. A person can learn a lot from this article.

    You have mentioned some very good points.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

I’m not a certified personal trainer or physician; I have written this article based upon my research from my years of working out. I strongly recommend consulting a medical doctor before beginning any workout program. I further recommend that you consult with a personal trainer when starting a specific exercise for the first time so that you are properly taught the exercise routine to avoid injury. This article is addressed to a fit, healthy and active individual who regularly workout is this area. I take no responsibility whatsoever.